FLOATING CANVAS

I have been working on a new series of paintings. They are free form canvas with no frame required. It is a very old and somewhat outdated idea(in my opinion) that a painting needs a frame. The first few I have completed are two layers of canvas. They are cut in various shapes, sewn and then turned inside out and top stitched leaving a pocket at the top for a hanging rod. They are then given a layer of white acrylic paint. After drying I paint the reverse side also. Now the fun begins! I paintshapes and lines to create a background first I then emblish with lines drawn with paint in squirt bottles. These floating canvases can be hung in a doorway similiar to Japanese nori or on a wall indoors or outdoors. They can be flat against a wall or hung so they move in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  HOW MANY is a fun children's book asking questions I think a child would ask. I created 48x48 paintings to illustrate this idea. All t...